|Origin of Name
||From the German word weiße masse, meaning white mass
|Date and Place of Discovery
||In France in 1753
- It was known to the ancients.
- It is a hard, brittle, steel-grey metal with a pink tint.
- It is stable in oxygen and water and dissolves in concentrated nitric acid.
- It is the most naturally
diamagnetic of all the elements.
mercury has lower thermal conductivity.
- Its toxicity is lower than most elements.
- It is twice as abundant as gold in the earth's crust.
- Medicinal products, such as
- Internal deodorant
- Permanent magnets
- Fire detection
- Catalyst for making acrylic fibers
- Ceramic glazes
- Thermoelectric materials
- Leukemia treament
- Oil paint
- Lubricating greases
- Fishing sinkers
- Riot gun projectiles