|Origin of Name
||From the Greek word kadmeia, meaning calamine and
the Latin word cadmia, also meaning calamine
|Date and Place of Discovery
||In 1817 in Germany
- It is a naturally occurring minor element.
- It is one of the metallic components in the earth's crust and oceans.
- It is present everywhere in our environment and is released into the environment through
forest fires and volcanic eruptions.
- It is a common impurity in zinc which is released during the
smelting process of zinc.
- It is known to produce toxic effects on humans and to cause cancer.
- Nickel- cadmium batteries
- Pigments for plastics
- Low melting alloys
- Control barrier in nuclear fission
- Television picture tubes
- Medicine to treat enlarged joints,
scrofulous glands, and chilblains
- Stabilizers in PVC