|Origin of Name
||After the mineral, gadolinite, named
|Date and Place of Discovery
||1880 in France
Jean de Marignac
- It is never found in nature as the free element.
- It is found in rare minerals like
- It is relatively stable in dry air unlike the other rare earth elements.
- It tarnishes quickly when exposed to moist air.
- It reacts slowly with water.
- It dissolves in dilute acid.
- Color television tubes
- Compact discs and computer memory chips
- Nuclear marine propulsion systems
- Alloys for iron and chromium
- Intravenous radio contrast agents and magnetic resonance imaging in the medical field
- Neutron radiography